At Claudelands we are committed to sustainability - we recognise the effect that the events industry can have on the environment and endeavour to minimise the environmental impacts of all events and functions held at our venue.
Our commitment to meaningful and long-lasting sustainability practices are guided by our branches of sustainability outlined below:
Our environment – Significantly reduce our environmental impact through a range of meaningful sustainable initiatives
Our community – Act as guardians of our city, helping to share and grow a healthy future through local partnerships, investments and initiatives to benefit future generations
Our people – Ensure our team, partners, contractors, clients and customers all connect to and support sustainable beliefs and behaviours
Our purchases – Always adhere to the highest sourcing standards to guarantee responsible, local and ethical purchases
Our green spaces – Maximise and manage our green spaces as living examples of our commitment to the environment
In June 2011 Claudelands reopened after an extensive refurbishment - this refurbishment included design features that enabled the venue to be more environmentally friendly as well as ensuring it was better placed to adapt to future requirements around sustainability.
Some of the environmentally friendly design features at Claudelands include:
- Use of rainwater for toilet flushing
- Water flow restrictors on all taps and showers
- Water sensitive taps in bathrooms
- Movement sensors on all the back of house and bathroom lights
- Storm water overflow directed to a wetland created on site
- Building management systems to manage power and energy consumption
We are constantly looking for opportunities to be more sustainable in our day to day operations.
Some of the sustainable initiatives in place at Claudelands are:
- Replacement of Halogen lighting with LED lighting
- Glass, plastic, tin, paper, cardboard and bottle top recycling
- Event food and retail packaging waste, bathroom and kitchen paper towels and grass clippings sent to commercial composting facility
- Plastic pallet wrap recycling
- Kitchen food waste sent to MPI-accredited piggery
- Consumable leftover food donated to Kaivolution
- E-waste and battery recycling
- Use of environmentally friendly cleaning chemicals
- Reusable lanyard return boxes
- Electronic document signing
- Encouragement of sustainable modes of transport through bicycle parking, marked walking route connecting to CBD and promotion of nearby bus routes
- Bee hives and meadow located on site
What we expect from our staff and contractors
Claudelands staff and contractors have a vital role to play in achieving our environmental objectives. We expect our staff and contractors to adopt sustainable practices in their day to day decision making and overall work roles. Our staff will also assist in the process of educating and promoting environmental sustainability to all external stakeholders.
How can you help?
There are easy steps you can take when you visit Claudelands to support our sustainability efforts:
Recycling of waste
Waste separation bins are placed around the venue. Please help by using the appropriate coloured bins around the venue for your waste and recycling.
Refilling of water bottles
For ticketed events, empty drinking containers no larger than 1.5 litres can be brought into the venue and filled at one of the water taps/fountains in our venue, rather than purchasing single use plastic bottles.
Getting to the venue
Claudelands is in a great location central to Hamilton’s CBD with easy accessibility for public transport, walking and bicycle routes and ample bicycle parking. We encourage you to consider leaving your car at home and using a more sustainable mode of transport when visiting our venue.
- Bicycle racks are available outside venue gates. Patrons need to supply their own locks
- Dedicated e-scooter parking areas are signposted around the venue perimeter for major events