What's on at Claudelands? Claudelands Twitter Feed Claudelands Instagram Feed

Contact Tracing FAQs

What is contact tracing and why do you need it?

To stop the spread of COVID-19, it’s important to keep track of people’s movements. Contact tracing helps us do that. With contact tracing, a business records details of all personal movement at their workplaces. This is saved in case we need to contact people who have been exposed to COVID-19.

What are my details used for?

Your details will be held by Hamilton City Council for two months as required by the Government. The Ministry of Health or District Health Boards may contact us if a person is diagnosed with COVID-19 and we are a potential contact. They will ask for the register for the time that person visited. Contact tracing information will not be used for any other purpose.


How will my details be collected?

Contact details including full name, phone number, email address and the date and time visiting will be collected for everyone who visits one of our sites.

In the short-term you will be asked to either give your details to a staff member who will record them on a form or fill them in yourself. If you are asked to fill them in yourself, sanitiser will be provided. 

In the medium to long-term we are looking to implement a QR code system. More information will be available about this soon.


I don’t want to leave my details, can I still come in?

We highly recommend that you do scan or sign in to assist with contact tracing if required. This means we can keep both our staff and customers safe.


I’m worried I gave you the wrong contact details?

You may access your information, and request a correction, by emailing us at hands@hcc.govt.nz.


What’s Council’s Privacy Statement?

In light of COVID-19, this information is being collected to help us keep our staff and customers safe and accurately respond to contact tracing information requests by the Ministry of Health. The information will be held securely by Hamilton City Council for two months (or such longer period as may be required by the Ministry of Health), during which time it may be supplied to the Ministry of Health and/or District Health Board on request. If you do not wish to provide this information, we reserve the right not to serve you or allow you onto our premises. You may access your information, and request a correction, by emailing us at hands@hcc.govt.nz.